Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sicilian Orange Cake with Caramelized Apples



It all started with an orange and 4 small apples. I was meaning to make Julia Child's Tarte Tatin, but

* I was craving for vitamin C 
and 
* I didn't have puff pastry in the house

so I decided to mix and merge and see what will come out of it.

Baking has never been my strongest suit, I bake mainly simple sponges, brownies and cheesecakes and variations on the same theme. I love creamy puddings, though - Arabian and Indian desserts with lots of honey, pistachios and rose water. *love*

This cake is basically an upside down basic orange sponge packed with vanilla, cinnamon and orange zest. 

Type of cuisine: Fusion/Italian, French


Preparation time: 20 minutes


Baking time: 25-30 minutes/ 150'C


Ingredients

1 big zesty orange

4 small apples

4 eggs

4 tbs of self-raising flour

1 small sachet of baking powder

3/4 cup of brown sugar

100 gr of butter

vanilla

cinnamon

orange peel


 Method

To make the sponge, separate the eggs and beat the whites and the yolks until they become hard. Work in some sugar (4 tbs for the white and 2 tbs for the yolks) and mix till it breaks. 

Pour the egg yolk cream over the whites froth and mix lightly using a silicone spoon. Add some vanilla, cinnamon and grate the peel of the orange. When it comes to taste enhancers, I am generous. I love orange rind and spices. 

In a separate bowl measure 4 tablespoons of flour and mix with the baking powder. Work your fingers through to mix and allow the air to sift through. 

Add the flour to the egg mixture and work in the dough slowly. Squeeze in the orange juice

To caramelize the apples, start by peeling and cutting them in thin slices. In a heavier and deeper pan, melt the butter and add the remainder of sugar. When the sugar is caramelized, add the apples, mix and let them cook for 2-3 minutes. (I don't like them very soft and pasty).




Grease a pan and put the apples on the bottom, top with the Sicilian orange cake dough and bake for approx. 25-30 minutes. 

Let it cool and turn the cake upside down.



The orange juice made the cake sooo moist, while the butter made the apples soft and creamy. It was truly delicious. I only had a tiny slice, the rest was shared among my husband, a friend visiting, my parents, and my grandfather.

I think baking is about sharing precious moments like this. Loving people and making them happy. Seeing them smile and letting them know how special they are to us.





orange rind and cinnamon tiny flakes

No comments:

Post a Comment