Search This Blog

Friday, December 24, 2010

From Lebanon with Love: Spicy beef pizza

Yesterday I was so busy that all I ate was 2 bowls of Weetbix, which were delicious, by the way. However, I woke up with a mild headache so I decided to cook something more substantial. A quick inspection of my fridge/freezer brought the following ingredients to light:

* lean minced beef- half a tray

* diced tomatoes - half a can

* 1 red onion

* spices

* parsley

* mint

* pine kernels (for decoration)

* frozen dough (the naan I kept in the freezer)

Lebanese style pizza is also called Arayes- a meat pie. It's amazing to have it as a snack or for lunch, with labneh (yoghurt dip with mint), mutabal (eggplant dip with tahina sauce), hummous and green salad as side dishes.

spicy beef Lebanese pizza with hummous

Method

1. Put the minced beef in a wok and add the spices: cinnamon, coriander, cumin, garlic, mint, sweet chilly, grated onion. Fry the meat and add half a can of diced tomatoes (I used Cirio) and let the meat brown nicely.

2. Flatten the bread, brush it with olive oil and use a spoon to lay all the beef onto the base.  Chop some parsley, sprinkle some pine kernels and some extra tomatoes to keep the pizza moist during the baking process.

3. Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and leave it in the oven for 10 minutes.




Although the original recipe uses lamb, I used beef instead as it is very difficult to find lamb in Romania, especially in winter. This one of the reasons why I make kofta with beef as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment