Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Perfect Breakfast: Millet with Banana Puree & Orange Blossom Water

I bought a bag of pearled millet some time ago even though I had no idea how to cook it. I asked the woman in the shop about some ideas on how to prepare it and she said it's used in soups and stews. Frankly, that didn't sound very encouraging ://
So I went online and started digging. Most Romanian sites offered some very bland and uninteresting options, but my hard research work was rewarded last night when I discovered Fran's House of Ayurveda, which is an adorable foodblog focused on healthy eating & living. Once I understood what millet is all about, I created my own porridge to reflect my personality. 

Millet porridge with banana puree, toasted walnuts & orange blossom water


Ingredients

(for 2 persons)

half a cup of millet

approx 500 ml of low-fat milk

1 ripe banana (mashed)

1 tbs of preserved orange rind

a pinch of organic vanilla powder

1 tbs of orange blossom water

1 tsp of runny honey

a handful of  toasted walnuts

Method

Put the millet into the hot milk and add the banana pureepreserved orange rind and vanilla, mix constantly to avoid the millet sticking to the pan and let simmer. Add the orange blossom water towards the end of the cooking time. You know when the millet is properly cooked as the milk will have evaporated and the millet will have become tender.

Millet is a great discovery for me. It has the texture of couscous but the fresh taste of raw almonds/quinoa. It can replace the classic cereal breakfast with great success & now I am totally in love with it.

Finally, toast or caramelize the walnuts, sprinkle them over the millet and drizzle honey or light agave syrup on top. Pair with fresh fruit: figs, peaches, apricots, papaya etc.

What I loved about this breakfast is the healthy element. It fills you up but you feel light, full of energy & ready to start the day. It's low-fat and guilt-free and it's so versatile I can now think of a hundred + combinations.

xoxo


another great discovery: white tea w pomegranate 


No comments:

Post a Comment