Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Fresh Tomato Salsa (and other goodies)

I invited a friend over for a casual lunch and I went for a Mexican theme. Firstly, I must say, I was craving for some chilli con carne desperately and I had loads of fresh veggies in the house. My mother had bought some beautiful ripe organic tomatoes from the market for me and I decided to put them to the test. If my salsa turned out perfect, then the tomatoes had to be real (ie with no preservatives or chemically treated, as the great majority of supermarket tomatoes are- sadly!)

(Mildly Hot) Fresh Tomato Salsa

Type of cuisine: Mexican


500 g of freshly picked country tomatoes

3-4 garlic crushed garlic cloves 

1 small red onion

a pinch of salt

1/2 tsp of brown sugar

hot chilly and pepper (to taste)

chopped parsley

oregano

rosemary

basil

thyme

olive oil

the juice from a slice of lemon

Method

Dice the tomatoes and the red onion, crush the garlic and chop the parsley. 

Fry the garlic and the red onion in olive oil and when they start to change their colour add the tomatoes with the sugar. Add the herbs and simmer for 20 minutes or so till the salsa has a thicker consistency. 

Season with salt, pepper and hot chilly and finish with chopped parsley and lemon juice

I use hot chilly WITH CAUTION because I can't stand hot food, but really hot chilly is optional. I always leave it handy on the table so, if somebody feels the dish should have been hotter, then they should help themselves freely. :)

We took a virtual trip to Mexico & beyond with Chilly Con Carne, tortilla chips with tomato salsa, guacamole, mango & cucumber salsa, rice, butter glazed sweet corn and plum and fig clafoutis.

Thank you, Dani for a nice afternoon, thank you, Mike for opening the bottle of wine (Concha y Toro) and thank you, God for inspiration!

I hope you guys aren't too hungry while browsing my blog as we speak :)  xoxo

PS. Yes, the tomatoes were real!!! :)

chilli con carne, baby :)

Mexico lindo y querido

plum & fig clafoutis


1 comment:

  1. Hi Yolanda, you have a very nice blog, I love the lemons on your header:D Got to try this tomato salsa of yours, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete