Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blackeye Peas...with Garam Masala

I was very happy to find blackeye peas because I had seen them featured in many cookbooks and on the internet, but had never tasted them before. They were a great find and discovery. When cooked, they have mildly smoky flavour. And also, I must admit, they look super cute, it's as if they were winking at you :) 
So I gave them an Indian treatment and cooked them in a garam masala stew which was absolutely delicious.

Here we go.

Aromatic Blackeye Peas with Garam Masala


The most important ingredient of this curry is the garam masala, which I prepared myself. Basically, I chose and sorted the spices, I toasted them all together and I ground them. Even though I buy ready-made garam masala powder, home-made garam masala is nicer and more aromatic.

Generally, the basic ingredients of garam masala are:

cinnamon sticks

curry leaves

coriander seeds

cumin seeds

cloves

funugreek seeds 

mustard seeds

onion seeds

(dried red chillies)* 

*which I use sparingly because I like only mild Indian dishes

Preparation & Method

The night before soak a cup of blackeye peas in water. Boil them  for 20 minutes or so till they become tender and  finally drain them. Start preparing your garam masala spices. Toast them and grind them in the coffee grinder. 

Chop 3-4 cloves of garlic, a small piece of fresh ginger, and a red onion

Fry the garlic, ginger and the red onion in olive oil (approx 2 tbs) & add the garam masala powder. Pour half a cup of water over the spices and add the blackeye peas

Stir and cover and let them simmer for 10 minutes until the water is soaked up by the peas.  Finally season with a pinch of salt

blackeye peas with jeera chicken and rice

I love the taste of Indian spices and they go so well with this these wonderful peas.  Truly delicious/addictive.

PS. I don't like Black Eye Peas (the band). Too much ado about nothing. :(

4 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds so flavorful... I do like garam masala but never made it myself.
    And I kinda do like the band, Black Eyed Peas :) I went to their concert in Istanbul, and lost my voice for about a week after the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black eyed peas. Garam masala is one of my favorite mix spices. This dish sound soooo delicious, I have to try asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only used these peas in dumplings, I love how you prepared them here! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. will have to try this,looks delicious

    ReplyDelete