Search This Blog

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Boeuf Bourguignon, the non-alcoholic alternative

A friend from Saudi was asking if there is a possibility to make BB without using alcohol, namely wine.  
This is the "sober" alternative :) of Boeuf Bourguignon. All joking aside, the quantity of wine you use in the stew will not make you tipsy by any means - by having the BB simmer, the alcohol contained in wine will evaporate. However, some people do not consume alcohol at all, so they could use this substitute.


Bouef Bourguignon 

   Non-alcoholic alternative
  

Instead of
·         2 cups of wine

Use

·         1 cup of red grape juice (two cups would make the dish too ‘fruity’)

·         1 extra cup of stock (for body)

·         2 tbsp of red wine vinegar (for sharpness)

·         A little more tomato paste (optional)

·         1 tbsp rich soy sauce (optional)


this particular BB had wine in it

In my opinion, if you have ever tasted the original BB, i.e.with wine, the substitution doesn't quite taste the same.   

Tomorrow (hopefully) I will post my favourite Lebanese beef recipe- Beef Sharhat: tender bits of beef with tomato sauce, spices and lots and lots of mint. A M A Z I N G!!! I am sure you will fall in love with it.

I noticed myself that lately I haven't posted that much on Indian, Lebanese and Asian dishes, which is strange because this is what I love most and mainly what cook. I will have to write about the most addictive apple chutney, my biryani, my spiced cauliflower soup with turmeric or my tarka dhal

So expect a feast in the next coming days/weeks. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment